WMI is Windows management instrumentation. That allows other all programs to communicate with the system. Because of the system access they all can read system states and other data. Sometimes, WMI process uses very much CPU and causes performance loss. You can see that WmiPrvSE.exe process eats lots of CPU and sometimes HDD too. But generally this process use little amount of CPU while running in background like max 2% CPU. But during problems, it will stick at high CPU load at 99% or more. Sometimes it’s better to keep it running because this process optimizes performances too. But when it constantly eats lots of CPU you have to fix this issue as soon as possible. So here are the easiest fixes that will surely fix the problem.
Table of Contents
Solution 1: Restart your computer
This is the easiest way to solve the problem. But, it fixed 70% of user’s problem. Sometimes there are some errors in WMI process that keeps running it in background at high CPU loads without any reason so restarting pc will sometimes easily fixes the issue.
Solution 2: Restart Windows management instrumentation service
1. Open services by pressing windows key and type services.
2. Now, find Windows management instrumentation. You can press w to go quickly.
3. Now, right click on WMI (Windows management instrumentation) and click on restart.
4. Done. Now, restart the computer.
Majority of the user’s problem is fixed by this solution.
Solution 3: Repair and rebuild WMI
This will fix the WMI issue if there are problems in core files of WMI.
1. Press Windows key and R to open RUN window.
2. Now, type Winmgmt /salvagerepository %windir%\System32\wbem and hit enter.
3. If nothing happens from above line, type Winmgmt /resetrepository %windir%\System32\wbem and hit enter.
4. Now, restart you computer.
Solution 4: Use event viewer to find problem
1. Press Windows key and type event viewer and open it.
2. Now, click on view and tick show analytic and debug logs.
3. Now, on left panel, go to Applications and Service Logs>Microsoft>Windows>WMI-Activity>Operational.
4. Now, you will see all events under WMI.
5. Find the error events and find its ClientProcessId.
6. Now, search on Google with that id.
7. On Google you can easily find program name with ClientProcessId.
If you find exact program which caused high CPU, you can easily stop process of that program from task manager and uninstall it from add or remove programs.
WMI is important and critical process so keep an eye on which programs are causing it to stay on high CPU load or it is causing itself. It is critical process so fix the problem is necessary. Above all solution are the perfect solutions that will 100% fixes the problem. Beware of hidden software like spywares and other software that may cause this issue. So scan with antivirus software. Some users found that some tiny programs was casing to WMI run at high CPU loads. So find that program and uninstall it right away.