In half of the world’s computers, windows update was stuck at some point. This issue is generalized. But generally saying most of the time windows updates are installed in background. But sometimes, it will get stuck at whooping 100%. This is reality that it is still happening after lots of windows updates. And computer needs us to resolve the issue. They will not fix the issue themselves.
Sometimes updates are slower than you think. It can take a whole day to install updates on slower computers especially you are installing a feature update or other large cumulative updates. Lots of issues are solved by below given solutions. So don’t worry about your stuck update scene now.
Table of Contents
Solution 1: Keep it running
Sometimes there are large number of updates are installing so be patient for a while. Keep them running for some hours. And after waiting for longer it stills not change from 1% to 2% than go to below solutions.
Solution 2: Run windows update troubleshooter
In the most of the time this will help you to find and fix the windows update problems. Here is the way how to open it.
1. Press Windows key + I key to open settings and go to update and security.
2. Now, in the right side, click on troubleshoot.
3. Now, click on the windows update and run the troubleshooter.
Solution 3: Delete files in software distribution folder
If there is any files are corrupted in software distribution folder than windows update problem can occur. So in this solution we will simply delete all files in this folder. Before we start we have to stop the windows update and background intelligent transfer service.
1. Press Windows key and type cmd and run it as administrator.
2. In the command prompt, type net stop wuauserv and net stop bits and hit enter. You can also stop services from service window.
3. Now delete all files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and restart your computer.
4. Now open command prompt again and type net start wuauserv and net start bits and hit enter.
5. That’s it. Now run windows update again.
Solution 4: Use system restore
If you have created system restore earlier than you can restore it if you want to restore system in previous good state.
1. Press Windows key and type recovery and open it.
2. Now, click on the Open system restore.
3. And follow the steps to restore you system in previous good state.
Related Post: System Restore Windows 10: How to Use (Step by Step)
Solution 5: Run sfc /scannow
If there are some critical corruptions in windows update files than you are at right solution.
1. Open command prompt as administrator.
2. In the CMD, type sfc /scannow.
3. Now, wait for it to complete the scan. It will fix the most issues in the file system.
4. Now, after completing scanning, run window update again.
If you cannot run sfc scan than try this first and follow above steps.
1. Open command prompt as admin and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command and press enter.
2. It will take a min 20 minutes to complete so wait and watch and don’t interfere with it.
3. After completing, try run sfc scannow again and see if problem is solved or not.
Solution 6: Run antivirus scan
If you believe that some dangerous viruses are on your computer and interfere the windows update than you can try whole computer scan.
Solution 7: Reinstall Windows
The last solution is installing a fresh copy of windows. You can download iso file directly from Microsoft website and install it without losing any data on your c drive.
So here are the all steps and solutions to repair windows updates. For more easiness in future keep updated your windows by checking it daily for updates. In some rare cases, some hardware may interfere with windows update so please disconnect it before installing windows updates. There are some old GPUs and some pcie cards that might interfere with windows updates.