In windows operating systems, start menu is the only and primary location to see installed programs, to see weather, calendar and other shortcuts. But it is bad when it does not open when you press windows key or click on the windows icon. There are common problems occurs in your computer that will cause start menu to not open. There are other problems are connected with it too like start menu randomly appears, start menu don’t go away, very sluggish start menu. So here are the solutions to fix the problems.
We will fix the problem from the easiest solution to lengthy one. So let’s start the fixing process.
Table of Contents
Solution 1: Restart Computer
This is the easiest fix but it has fixed nearly 60% of user’s problems on the spot. So, give it a try. If it not helps, go to next one.
Solution 2: Enter in Safe Mode
This is another easier solution for start menu not appearing problem. But it will fix the issue right away if there are only little or minor problems. So what you have to do is just enter in to safe mode and log out, restart PC and boot in to normal start up. That’s it.
1. Press Windows key + I key to open settings.
2. Click on the update and security.
3. Now, on the left panel, click on the recovery.
4. Now, under advanced startup, Click on restart now.
5. Now, click on troubleshoot.
6. Click on the advanced options.
7. Now, click on start up settings.
8. Now, press restart.
9. Now, computer will restart.
10. Now, startup settings will appear again, press 4 to boot into safe mode.
11. After booting into safe mode, just restart your PC and check if start menu if working or not.
Solution 3: Uninstall Antivirus Software
Sometimes some antivirus software causes to not open start up menu. So try removing antivirus software and check start menu.
Solution 4: Switch User Accounts
Try switching user accounts and check if start menu appears or not. Try making new user account and check if start menu appears or not.
Solution 5: End local Security Authority Process
1. Open task manager and search for the Local Security Authority Process.
2. Now, right click on it and press end.
3. Now, restart your computer.
Solution 6: Update Windows 10
For the permanent fix try update windows. Sometimes there is bug in startup menu so try updating windows regularly.
Solution 7: Refresh or Reset Windows 10
This is last but solution will surely work. This will do a fresh installation of windows 10 but it will keep your files as it is.
1. Open settings by pressing Windows key + I key.
2. Now, go to update and security.
3. Now, go to recovery.
4. On the top you will see reset this PC. Click on get started.
5. Now, it will show two option keep files and remove everything. Select any one which one you want to do and follow the next steps.
This will take minimum 20 minutes to reset window 10.
So here are the all solutions to repair startup menu. If you don’t want to do any solution, you can always install windows 10 from installation media. Sometimes startup menu not appears because of windows explorer. So try ending the task from task manager and restart explorer and see if it helps. In rare case, some malwares can do these problems so scan with good antivirus software. Run sfc scan to repair file corruptions instantly.