SFC means system file checker. Sfc /scannow is a command entered in command windows in windows operating systems. Basically, it is a utility that is built in windows operating systems. sfc /scannow command checks critical system files and verify their versions. If it finds invalid files, it replaces with original or verified one or you can say genuine one. This command is very helpful to repair, troubleshoot and save you from large critical errors that caused randomly or caused by dangerous malwares. But you should know that it scans only critical files that are used to windows run.
Table of Contents
How to Use sfc /scannow
Sfc /scannow is a command that entered in command window. So, whole command means that it will start checking system files immediately.
1. Open command prompt by pressing windows key and type CMD and run as administrator.
2. After opening command prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
3. It will immediately start scanning of system files.
4. If it finds any damaged or replaced or not original files it will replace with genuine one. But only critical files are repaired like DLL and other critical system files that are used windows to run properly.
In case, you could not start or use sfc /scannow command, try to check windows modules installer service might be stopped.
Note: This command is dependent on the windows modules installer service, so if it’s disabled than try to start the service and enter command again.
How to Start Windows Modules Installer Service?
1. Press windows key and type services, open it.
2. Now, find windows modules installer and start the service and set it to automatic or manual.
Run sfc /scannow from Safe Mode
In some cases you have enter in to safe mode and in the command prompt enter command because during windows is running, all files are loaded and running so they are not replaceable or editable or usable by other tools or programs, so it is necessary to boot in to safe mode.
- Enter in to safe mode by advanced startup.
- Open command prompt and type sfc /scannow.
- It will scan all critical files and repairs it.
This command needed admin privileges so whenever asked press yes to give permission to access the files. Without admin privileges, it cannot access system files. You should know that this tool or utility only repairs windows critical files; it will not repair any other program files or other driver files. In rare case you will be asked to enter windows 10 DVD or other media, so enter it and scan completely.