For resetting windows 10 password, there are several ways but mainly two ways to reset windows 10 password, one from website and one from using windows 10 installation disc and going into command prompt. Windows 10 is protected by two securities, one is password that you use during login to Microsoft website and another one is PIN. In previews version of windows there was account password used to log in to operating systems but today there is only one PIN and password for the Microsoft account and windows 10 itself. So, if you forgot the password or want to change it or reset it here are the simple ways to follow.
Solution 1: Resetting Password from Microsoft Website
1. Go to https://account.live.com/password/reset.
2. In the window, enter your email, phone or Skype name that you using to login to your account.
3. Now, select any of the options for receiving security code, like your phone number or email address.
4. Now, you will receive a code on selected email or phone number, enter it in the asked window and reset password.
Solution 2: Resetting Password from Windows 10 Disc and Command Prompt
Note: This process will make a new user account of windows 10. But works only for local account.
Before doing these steps, please use a Windows 10 DVD or Bootable USB media and set them on boot first priority from BIOS to make them boot first. For more setup guide on how to setup boot orders read your motherboard manual.
1. Insert windows 10 DVD or USB bootable drive of windows 10 and set it on first priority in BIOS, save settings.
2. Now, restart your PC.
3. During Windows 10 setup, press Shift + F10 to open command prompt.
4. In the command prompt, enter move d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe.bak and press enter.
5. Now, type copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe and press enter.
6. Now, type wpeutil reboot to restart and also eject your windows 10 disc.
7. At login screen, click on utility manager and click on command prompt.
8. Now, type net user new_user /add and press enter.
9. After that, type net localgroup administrators new_user /add and press enter.
10. Restart your computer.
11. Now during log in, you will see a new user, so log in by that name.
12. Now, press Windows Key + X key and click computer management.
13. Under local users and groups, locate that account and right click on them and set password.
14. Now, log out from new account and try to log in to your old account by your newly set password.
So there are two ways to reset the password of windows 10. In case if you couldn’t reset the password, you can always login by Microsoft account. There two different accounts like local and Microsoft one. New updated windows are the updated with only Microsoft account so you have to reset password from solution 1 and older operating systems are local ones. So you can reset password with solution 2.