Cortana is like a digital agent in your computer or you can say personal secretary that helps you to work done like gives you reminders, sends emails, manages calendar, create and manages lists and helps you to open any app from PC. But sometimes it will annoy you at some important work especially you have turned on microphone. So after that you always be wanted to disable Cortana to rid off the problems. So, here are some easy steps to disable Cortana.
Table of Contents
Method 1: Disable Cortana from Settings
1. Click on the Cortana (circle icon) and click on the settings.
2. Now under hey Cortana, turn off or slide button to left under let Cortana responds to hey Cortana to turn off this feature.
3. Now, on the left side click on the permissions and history, turn off activity recommendations.
4. That’s it now Cortana is turned off.
Method 2: Turning off Cortana from local group policy
1. Press windows key + R key and type gpedit.msc.
2. Now, navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Search.
3. Now, on the right side, double click on the allow Cortana and click on disabled and click OK.
Method 3: Turning OFF Cortana from registry
1. Press windows key and type regedit and open registry editor.
2. Now navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
3. Now in the windows folder look for the windows search key.
4. If it is not available, right click on the windows folder, go to new > key and now name that folder as windows search.
5. Now, in the windows search folder, right click anywhere in the right side and go to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
6. Now name it as AllowCortana.
7. Now, double click on the allow Cortana and enter value 0.
Method 4: Take ownership of Cortana folder and move it to other place
1. Go to C:Windows\SystemApps and find the directory Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.
2. Now, right click on it and go to properties.
3. Go to security and click advanced.
4. Now, in the owner line, click change.
5. Now, in the username box enter account name or username of your computer and click OK.
6. Now, check Replace owner on sub containers and objects and click apply and OK.
7. Save changes and that’s done. Now move directory to another place in your computer.
So here are the all methods to disable Cortana. If you are doing method 3 and 4 than please do it with caution. Cortana is very helpful to search on internet by voice. But sometimes it automatically pops up on the screen without calling it. So it will be annoying during important works. So, disabling Cortana may solve the issue.